Sunday, February 13, 2011

NEW HEALTH TECHNOLOGIES TO SAVE LIVES

SPEEDY HEALTH TECHNOLOGIES

New technologies hold promise to save lives

In the near future, new technologies for global health—vaccines, drugs, microbicides, diagnostics, and devices—could reduce suffering and save millions of lives worldwide:
  • A vaccine against malaria could protect against a disease that threatens half the world’s population.
  • New drugs could change the lives of the more than 1 billion people who suffer from neglected tropical diseases.
  • A microbicide that could effectively block HIV and other sexually transmitted infections could give women the power to protect themselves with or without their partners’ cooperation.
  • A rapid test for tuberculosis (TB) could speed up treatment and improve chances of survival for patients living with both TB and HIV.
  • New, effective contraceptive devices could help families in developing countries avoid pregnancies that are ill-timed or unwanted, which account for an estimated 25 percent of all pregnancies.

Finding the next generation of tools

Investments in health technologies have already led to tremendous advancements in global health. Smallpox, a disease that once decimated populations across continents, has been eradicated. Millions of people have been spared from diseases such as polio and measles, allowing them to live longer, more productive lives.
Existing technologies have made this progress possible. Now, we need to expand access to these tools and develop the next generation of technologies that will prevent, diagnose, and treat global health threats:
  • Through a proven, cost-effective treatment, millions have been cured of TB. However, this treatment regimen is long and difficult for patients to sustain. Moreover, drug-resistant TB cases are rising. In China and India, the two countries with the highest TB burden, the World Health Organization estimates that 8 percent and 5 percent of cases will not respond to current treatment, signaling an urgent need for new drugs.
  • Deaths from diarrheal disease among children less than five years old have been cut nearly in half since the 1980s, but 1.8 million children still die from diarrhea each year. A vaccine against diarrheal disease could help save them.
  • Life expectancy in the world’s poorest countries could increase more than 20 percent by 2050 if recent advancements against HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, and other infectious diseases continue.

Cooperation and collaboration are key

Solving these and other challenges requires the cooperation and collaboration of every sector—private and public, governmental and nongovernmental. The United States, which has historically been the leader in health research and development, plays an especially vital role. New research from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation shows that US investment in global health is working. As the largest funder of global health research, the United States can and should maintain its leadership in the advancement of new global health technologies to benefit the health of people around the world.
The challenges ahead of us are great, but they are not insurmountable. With adequate investment in the discovery, development, and delivery of global health technologies, we can stop the spread of disease, effectively treat once-devastating conditions, and save lives.

1 comment:

  1. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete